httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache log files on Windows
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 04:18:57 GMT

On Sep 25, 2007, at 11:17 AM, James Sherwood wrote:

> We are using Apache 2.0.54 on a windows server 2003.  When I try to
> copy the logs I get the error "A program has a partial lock on the
> file"

This means you're trying to copy a file that's being written to, and
the OS thinks it has a good reason not to let you do that.  Why are
you trying to copy the live file?  It'll get you a bunch of stale
data and next time you copy it won't be easy to determine the
boundary of the stuff you have already copied.

Are you trying to rotate the logs?  The best way to do that is as
follows:

1) Rename the old log file(s).  Apache will continue to write log
data to
    the old files, since it has open file handles on them and the OS
is not
    fooled by something so trivial as a filename
2) Send Apache a restart (or graceful restart) by calling

    c:\path\to\httpd -k restart

    (or -k graceful).  This causes Apache to open new, empty log
files with
    the original names, closing the old open file handles.  New log
entries
    will appear in the new log files without any loss.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org