httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ian Johnson" <cjohns...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Multiple concurrent instances of apache
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:14:34 GMT
To Whom is able to help:

I am trying to install multiple instances of apache 2.2.6 on a gentoo box.

Having done what I thought was my homework, I thought I would be able
to simply launch the apache deamons with -d new.conf file pointing to
an independant configuration structure and thus be off to the races.

After creating a new structure and ensuring that the Lock, Pid and log
file directives pointed to a separate files (directories), I launch a
renamed and modified version of the rc script and get:

 * Starting apache2.inst ...
Unable to open logs

Knowing that the ports in question are not being used elsewhere
(netstat -na) I am now at a roadblock that I have not been able to
resolve.

I have search the mail list archives and have not been able to resolve
this issue.  Seems that most of the time when this error arrises it
does so as a result of the port being bound elsewhere.

This brings me to my questions:

1.  Has someone in here done this on a gentoo box.  If so can you
please provide some insight?

2.  Does anyone know of a good howto focusing on this topic.  (I have
not been able to find one.

Many kind thanks in advance,