httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Peelman <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2, rotatelogs.exe, and Windows
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:39:03 GMT
Mark A. Craig wrote:
> Nope, I excluded that as a possible cause pretty quickly.  I don't
> know why, but it's something about the actual inclusion of the piped
> commands to rotatelogs that actually causes the false error about
> nonexistent Unicode characters.  If I uncomment them, I get the
> error... if I comment them out, I don't.
>
> Now you know why I'm asking for help with this.  What exactly about my
> syntax (see previous post with sample) is so broken that it could
> cause such a non sequitur error?
>
> Mark

Mark,

  I am unsure of what would be causing your Unicode issues, sorry. That
being said.. i've heard/read that there are issues with rotatelogs on
W32 platforms. I have successfully used rotatelogs on my old XP box
after alot of hassle. What I found for me was that I had to use the full
path like so:

ErrorLog "|G:/mydir/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe
G:/mydir/apache2/logs/my-error_log(%m-%d-%Y_%H-%M-%S).log 86400"

Which in this example rotated the logs once a week. Also shown is the
format you were looking for, i believe. This was used in a virtualhost.
The only problem I noticed was that you may find many rotatelogs
processes running. With three or four vh (rotated error and custom logs
for each) I had about 20 rotatelogs processes in the task manager.

Norm