httpd-users mailing list archives

From Malcolm Walker <malc...@mewalker.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:18:51 GMT
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 01/09/07, Malcolm Walker <malcolm@mewalker.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
>> am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
>> after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I remain
>> unaware of how to amend the file at conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit
>> local access only.  As to the <Directory blocks I take your point but I
>> cannot determine which of the directives to use.
>>
>> My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
>> includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
>> expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.
>>
>> My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
>> the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do it.
>> There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought my
>> first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
>> eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind than
>> I was then!
>>
> Please forgive the jibe, but it's perhaps suitable that you're trying
> to configure server side includes.. A technology nearly as old as
> yourself :-)

Your jibe is forgiven. {8;-))  But just because the technology is old
doesn't mean it isn't any use.  I assume there are `better' and newer
ways of achieving the same object.  Perhaps PHP is more appropriate?
> Explaining how vhosts work is a time consuming process, and I think
> the docs would do a better job, so instead, let's try a direct answer.
> Stick this at the bottom of your httpd.conf and see what happens.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName localhost
>  DocumentRoot F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver
>  <DIrectory F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver>
>   Options Includes Indexes
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow from all
>   AddOutputFilter INCLUDES;DEFLATE shtml
>  </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

I did `stick' the lines you kindly provided into the httpd.conf file and
the mcjdreamweaver site is displayed in my browsers with the URL:
http://localhost.  So thank you for that step forward.
> For bonus points, you could edit your hosts file (windows hides it
> somewhere like c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) so you've got a
> proper name to use rather than localhost, then repeat that name in
> ServerName.
By edit do you mean delete 127.0.0.1 localhost and add (say) 127.0.0.1
mcjlocalhost?

> Good luck!

I need more than good luck - nourishment not punishment!  And thank you
for your assistance.

Malcolm