httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dragon <dra...@crimson-dragon.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Baffled for two months - Need help
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:04:26 GMT
Frederick Lamartin wrote:
>I have removed the alias directive from the configuration file. The
>After removing the index file from my website, the URL opens an
>index to the site. We have success! Thanks again.
>
>For the record, the following respond explicitly to your questions.
>
>1. I have not been restarting apache after changing the
>configuration file. I have been directly attempting to open my site
>by directing the browser to the site. After changing the
>configuration file, attempting to restart Apache via the Windows
>start menu results in the following DOS-type error message: "Only
>one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is
>normally permitted.: make_s: could not bind to address 0.0.0.80 no
>listening sockets available, shutting down  Unable to open logs". I
>have not yet, but shall,  look into correcting that error by working
>through the Windows Control Panel.

Apache does not look for changes in the configuration while it is
running, you have to explicitly tell it to read the configuration
again by restarting it. Until Apache is properly restarted, it will
not know anything about the changes you made.

The error message you are getting says to me that you have not
stopped Apache when attempting to do your restart.

When you say you are restarting it, how exactly are you doing so?

Dragon