httpd-users mailing list archives

From "K Anand" <kan...@sail-steel.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy - Client IP
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:23:53 GMT

>> On 9/28/07, K Anand <kanand@sail-steel.com> wrote:
>>> I'm  using  apache 1.3.xx...I know it is way too old...
>>> My situation is as follows :
>>>
>>> Client   <----->   Apache      <------------>  Apache
>>>                          (Rev Proxy)                       (Backend)
>>>
>>> I have got access to CGI env vars on the Backend apache in my
>>> application. I
>>> would like to get the client IP there.
>>>
>>> I have tried this :
>>>
>>> SetEnv REMOTE_IDENT %{X-Forwarded-For}i
>>>
>>> and tried to access REMOTE_IDENT  in my application...But i get
>>> %{X-Forwarded-For}i and not the value ...
>>

>> SetEnv can't do that. SetEnvIf might be able to (with a suitable
>> change in syntax -- see the docs), or you could use mod_rewrite. But
>> why are you bothering? Your application should be able to directly
>> access X-Forwarded-For.
>>
>> (Also, careful using X-Forwarded-For because it could contain more
>> than one IP address in the case of a chain of proxies.)
>>
>> Joshua.
>
> I did try to use X-Forwarded-For directly. But I did not get any value
> there.
>
> Anand

I finally managed to get the client IP. I had to use
mod_proxy_add_forward.c  and
mod_rpaf ....

X-Forwarded-For header was not getting set.  So I had to use
mod_proxy_add_forward.c .
Once that header got set, my app was not able to use it directly. As I had
written earlier,
my app can see only CGI vars...So then had to use mod_rpaf  to move
X-Forwarded-For into Remote IP.

Anand