httpd-users mailing list archives

From Per Jessen <...@computer.org>
Subject [users@httpd] filters and handlers?
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:54:03 GMT
I've been re-reading the manual to try to gain a better understanding of
filters and handlers, specifically the difference between the two.

The reason being -

by default, the PHP interpreter is called as a handler (a typical
config: "AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .phtml".  By implementation
INCLUDES is a filter which is enabled using e.g.
"AddOutputFilter INCLUDES shtml".

I'd like to have my files processed first by the INCLUDES filter, then
by the PHP handler.  The "AddOutputFilter" option clearly supports this
type of sequence.

But back to my initial question - what is the functional difference
between a handler and a filter?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich