httpd-users mailing list archives

From Georg Sauthoff <g_sauth...@web.de>
Subject [users@httpd] CGI works, but client denied error messages in error.log
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 19:51:38 GMT
Hi,

I have a working Apache 2 setup and Apache calls successfully the
cgi-scripts. The problem is, that for every successfull CGI-call I get a
'client denied by server configuration' error message into the error.log
file.

This message conflicts with the fact, that the CGI-call was executed
successfully and I saw the correct output in the Web browser.

I am basically using a '/ Deny all' policy and a ScriptAlias definition.
A minimal example:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
  DocumentRoot /var/www/

  <Directory />
    Options -FollowSymLinks -Indexes -Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
  </Directory>

  ScriptAlias /project /var/www/project/cgi-bin/test.cgi
  <Directory /var/www/project/cgi-bin>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

# cat test.cgi
#!/bin/sh

cat out.min

# cat out.min

<HTML>
<HEAD></HEAD><BODY><H1>HELLO WORLD!</H1></BODY></HTML

Browser output from 127.0.0.1/project/bar:
very big: Hello World!

Error message in error.log:
[client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /var/www/bar

Can someone explain me this behaviour? I don't understand this. This error
makes no sense for me, because the script execution works, apparently.

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff