httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ContentNegotiation and ProxyBalancer
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:40:16 GMT
On 8/28/07, Benjamin Krause <bk@benjaminkrause.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I'm using Apache 2.2 with mod_proxy_balancer right
> now to run a dynamic RESTful application. This app
> caches requests in the Apache DocumentRoot, so a
> request can be handled by Apache, once generated.
>
> Right now I'm checking my requests via mod_proxy.
> If the file does not exist in the DocumentRoot, it will
> get forwarded to the ProxyBalancer:
>
> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://some_proxy%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]
>
> This works fine. But this won't handle content
> negotiations. I'm caching the files in the recommended
> format "name.lang.format". So my cached files might
> be "index.en.html" or "foo.fr.xml".

1. Have you tried the -U test rather than -F? This should pass the
request through apache's url-handling stuff. (You'll need to modify
the rest of the RewriteCond to use a url-path rather than a file
path).

2. This would be a major architectural change, but why not use
mod_disk_cache in place of a custom caching scheme?

Joshua.