httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Victor Trac" <victor.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:48:05 GMT
On 8/12/07, Kathi Porter <kp288@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Hi;
> I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web server. I'll
> be atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play" with it a
> bit before then.
> I'm running a knoppix (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a
> Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless router, with a
> firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of the virtual
> HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present and contains
> the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and assumed
> Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But when I
> start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/ I got the
> following error message:
> "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
> the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running. I don't see it
> listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an equivalent
> of the Microsoft Windows control panel? I checked under the control center,
> system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar. Do I need
> to do the binary install from
> http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/
> Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks & regards,
> kp

Are you trying to reach "http://localhost" from the knoppix virtual machine
or from the Windows host?  Each operating system treats that address as its
own.  If apache is actually running, the localhost address will only work
from inside the knoppix VM.

By having /etc/apache, it is likely that apache is already installed on your
virtual machine, however, it may not be running.  You can try dropping down
to a shell, typing "sudo /etc/init.d/apache start" and then seeing if that
works.

You may have better luck asking the knoppix folks.

--
http://www.victortrac.com