httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jack Stone" <anten...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite or mod_access
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:43:16 GMT
>From: "Vincent Bray" <noodlet@gmail.com>
>To: users@httpd.apache.org, orvilleg@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite or mod_access
>Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:38:58 +0700
>
>On 25/08/07, Jack Stone <antennex@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > We still use MSFrontPage on certain sites and was wondering how best to
> > block visitors who use FP in attempts to abuse the sites, BUT, not block
>our
> > own valid users?
> >
> > Figured best to use mod_rewrite or mod_access for this purpose, but
>unsure
> > of the syntax to use on those vhost containers where we may have the
> > conflicts.
> >

>Either should work. First with mod_access (as it is in 2.0)
>
><Location /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe>
>  Deny from all
></Location>
>
>.. or fancier ..
>
><LocationMatch ^/_vti_bin/_vti_(evil|regex)>
>  Deny from all
></LocationMatch>
>
>Or with mod_rewrite:
>
>RewriteEngine On
>RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^trusted.host.pattern$
>RewriteRule ^/_vti - [F]
>
>This basically says, if the address looks like some frontpage nonsense
>and the client isn't coming from a known address, don't change the URL
>(the - part), and forbid [F] the request.
>
>You can probably get fancier still with mod_security, where fancy
>includes stuff like time based abuse escallation, and just about any
>conceivable formula based on the request (including any entity bodies,
>which mod_rewrite can't see).
>
>Good luck.
>
>--
>noodl

Noodl, I tried the mod_rewrite suggestion which was working until I
discovered it was killing the FP counter. So, switched to this as a separate
rewrite block by itself since I send the mass downloaders to a special page
explainy why blocked:

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^xx.xx.xx.xx$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} FrontPage [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} MSFrontPage [NC]
RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]

I think this is doing the trick now.

Many thanks!

Jack