httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] im stuck, plz help...
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:04:56 GMT
Harvey,

On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Harvey Saayman wrote:

> should i then configure the Listen directive to "Listen
> 255.255.255.255:80"?...

If you use "Listen 80", Apache will bind to all IP addresses on the
box, whatever those happen to be.

> i asume if this is the case i hav to change this IP every time a
> dail cuz the IP is dynamic? this isnt a perminant thing... i just
> need to get it working before i spend money on a fast line and a
> proper server

Yes, if you bind to a specific IP address, you'll have to change that
and restart your httpd service every time the IP changes on your dial-
up line.

> we just swiched over our gateway to mandriva 2007 spring free linux
> over the weekend and set it up to dail and file share over our home
> network... i cant seem to locate my internet IP... how can i get it
> from my linux gateway?

That doesn't really touch the Apache service so it falls outside the
scope of this list, but it should be the IP address on your ppp0
interface.  ifconfig -a on the Linux box should tell you.

Are you running Apache on the Linux box or on your own Windows
station behind the gateway?  In the latter case you'll need a port
forward from the Linux router to your Windows box to make your Apache
server visible from the Internet.  Again, outside the scope of this
list, but you should be able to Google for a Howto document.

> and how exactly do i get a DNS set up? i hav "BIND DNS sever"
> installed on my linux gateway... will this sort out my DNS problem?

Only if you configure it and use it.  This stuff has a steep learning
curve, but the advantage of this is that you get to learn a lot in a
very short time!

Once again, setting up a DNS service falls outside the scope of this
list.  However, what I do for my home network is I have bind running
on my server (running FreeBSD, but Linux is also a great choice), and
my DHCP service tells all clients to use that server as DNS.  I have
defined a Zone for my local network, using a fictional domain name
and giving all boxes a name that maps onto their IP address.  I have
also configured bind to go directly to the Root servers for queries
outside my network, so the clients can see the whole Internet and are
not stuck on my local domain.  Of course if you are just
experimenting locally, you could start with simple HOSTS files on
your local network to give names to machines.

On my bookshelf are copies of:

* TCP/IP Network Administration by Craig Hunt

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596002971?
tag=sandersweblog-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASI
N=0596002971&adid=0E7CWE859MK4BF0GB65T&

* DNS & Bind by Cricket Liu and Paul Albitz

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596100574?
tag=sandersweblog-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0596100
574&adid=1VEJXZGT2CE4BQTAGKFK&

* The Unix Systems Administration Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0130206016?
tag=sandersweblog-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASI
N=0130206016&adid=1CQ73RXJTDMQGCZQZJC1&

* Apache: The Definitive Guide

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596002033?
tag=sandersweblog-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASI
N=0596002033&adid=10H3WE4SXZ1Q1KP9E8E8&

... and many more.

S.

--