httpd-users mailing list archives

From Israel Brewster <isr...@frontierflying.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OpenBSD 4.1 CGI issues
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:28:50 GMT
On Aug 23, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Israel Brewster <israel@frontierflying.com> wrote:
>> First off, I apologize for asking a question that I know you get a
>> lot, but I have just spent the last hour and a half beating my head
>> against the wall and searching the internet trying to find a solution
>> with no luck.
>>
>> Short version: I have an existing OpenBSD 4.0 box on which Apache
>> (version 1.3.29) is working properly, including execution of CGI
>> scripts. I am trying to move to a new machine with OpenBSD 4.1, so I
>> started with a fresh OpenBSD 4.1 install, which comes with the same
>> version of Apache as 4.0, and copied the httpd.conf file over from my
>> old machine. After starting the web server, however, I found that it
>> could not run any CGI scripts- always just giving me the following
>> error:
>>
>> [Thu Aug 23 08:45:40 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end
>> of script headers: /cgi-bin/test-cgi
>
> [...snip...]
> But anyway, this problem is fairly standard and is addressed here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/cgi.html#butitsstillnotworking

As I mentioned in the first line, I was aware of that fact, and had
been searching the internet for a solution and trying different
things for the last hour and a half before asking for help :-)

> The error means that apache is perfectly happy to launch your CGI
> script, but the CGI is failing in some way.
>
> The first thing to try is running the CGI from the command line:
> cd /path/to/cgi-bin
> ./test-cgi
>
> Joshua.
>

>> [...snip...]
>> The test-cgi, as well as
>> the printenv both run fine from a terminal window.

Yep, as I also mentioned, tried that. Worked fine. I did manage to
fix the problem though-turns out that the problem was with Apache
being chrooted. The first line of the test script was looking for /
bin/sh, which, when chrooted, Apache could not find. I thought I had
checked this against my functioning box, but apparently I was looking
at the wrong box or something. At any rate, un-chrooting Apache fixed
the issue. Thanks for the help attempt!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.