httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Richards" <knight...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] im stuck, plz help...
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:49:18 GMT
On 8/10/07, Harvey Saayman <HarveySaayman@nerdshack.com> wrote:

>   thank you so much for the help given so far...
>
> now a demon of a different kind reared its ugly head...
>
> i set up m Listen directive to "Listen 80"... i then tried
> http://localhost and my html displays right im my browser... i got my ppp0
> internet IP which was 196.23.239.34 tonight and i tried
> http://196.23.239.34. now i dont get the index.htm created for my testing
> purposes like i got using http://localhost, instead i get a test page that
> came with apache that just sais "Its works". the dir to this htm is
> C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs on my pc... i
> checked my httpd.conf file and that dir isnt even in there anymore... (im
> using C:/www for my htm and logs). i tried replacing that "it worx" htm with
> my one and still the same problem... i dont know were apache gets told to go
> there cuz i can see any other directives pointing to a dir other that the
> ones i set up myself
>
> can this be because of my internet gateway on my home network? Sander
> Temme sugested the following " you'll need a port forward from the Linux
> router to your Windows box to make your Apache server visible from the
> Internet" i dont hav a clue how to do this YET but this is infact how im
> running my setup... i have a linux gateway on my home network which connects
> to the internet, behind it i have my win pc running apache... being a noob
> at this i dont know if that could be the problem
>
> further more... i know its beyond the scope of this mail list but i think
> it is in fact relevent to the subject which is webhosting... as ive read a
> user input an URL into the browser which then goes to the users IPS's DNS
> servers which goes to one of 13 or 14 main DNS servers in the world which
> then goes to smaller DNS servers to the specific ISP which then directs that
> "query" if you will to your http servers IP... this is my current
> understanding of how that works. now eventualy id like to host more than one
> site EG www.thisSite.co.za and www.thatSite.co.za and www.aSite.co.za .
> can i somehow host a DNS server myself? or do i have to register a DNS like
> the one offered here http://www.imaginet.co.za/product/hosting/linux ...
> and if i cant host it myself will the DNS registration here be enough to get
> my end result of the user using www.thisSite.co.za and then directing it
> to my IP? and then another Question do i need a seperate IP for each domain
> www.thisSite.co.za and www.thatSite.co.za and www.aSite.co.za or will one
> do the job if i somehow localy split the queary to go the right index.htmfor the respective
site?

> thank you so much for the help and patience with my probably
> stupid questions... ive lerned so much alredy

To get mine to work correctly I had to assign a static IP address via DHCP
on my gateway. Then I had to forward port 80 to that specific IP address. I
also ran into a lot of bugs getting an alternative root folder to work,
although it's possible. For me, the easier solution was to use the existing
directory structure. In the root I have a basic index.html. You also need to
make sure that your httpd.conf has each vhost setup correctly. I run 7
domains from my DSL connection without a problem, using the help of a free
Dynamic DNS service: http://freedns.afraid.org/

You can't host your own DNS unless your ISP has given you static IP's and
you can do a successful reverse lookup. That normally means paying for
commercial service with most ISP's. Keep it simple, use a free or commercial
Dynamic DNS service, which should provide you with a update client that will
run in the background.