httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Peelman <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 02:36:19 GMT
Malcolm Walker wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> >so presumably you're using a URL like
> http://localhost/mcjdreamweaver/ to access your site
> Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
> am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
> after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I
> remain unaware of how to amend the file at
> conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit local access only.  As to the
> <Directory blocks I take your point but I cannot determine which of
> the directives to use.
>
> My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
> includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
> expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.
>
> My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
> the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do
> it.  There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought
> my first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
> eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind
> than I was then!
>
> Many thanks for your effort to assist me.  I do appreciate it very
> much indeed.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Vincent Bray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You seem to have two problems in your config. First, You're not using
>> any virtual hosts, and your DocumentRoot is F:/webs, so presumably
>> you're using a URL like http://localhost/mcjdreamweaver/ to access
>> your site. In this case, using an include with a local uri ref like
>> /includes/something won't work because the mcjdreamweaver part is
>> ignored. To fix this, either change your DocumentRoot to include the
>> site directory, or use vhosts if you want to host multiple sites.
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/
>>
>> Secondly, you have two <DIrectory blocks that each refer to
>> essentially the same directory (except one of them has a wildcard).
>> This will lead to pain and suffering in the long term, so instead
>> merge the two together, in particular your Options directive, which is
>> different in both cases. You should also avoid using Options Foo +Bar
>> notation, as the docs explain, this isn't supported syntax, so instead
>> make up your mind and use Options Foo Bar Whatever.

  Sorry to come in at the end of a thread but here's what I do for vhosts:

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerAdmin <your email address here>
   ServerName localhost
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/"
   DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm

# you'll need to play with this - I struggle too...
    <Directory /var/www>
        AllowOverride None
        Options -Indexes
        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from All
    </Directory>

# error logging goes here...

# some PHP variables below - can be set on a vhost basis

   php_value session.name "lh"
   php_value session.cookie_domain "localhost"
   php_value upload_max_filesize "1M"
   php_value register_globals off
</VirtualHost>

Basically, you get to type 'localhost/your dir here' in the browser to
access your content. As long as you use relative URLs everything should
work.

Norm