httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alfredo Mesen" <albem...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Erratic request denial
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:40:48 GMT
Hello,

I'm having a really weird behavior on my site, where depending from
where it is accessed not all requests (16 async RPCs) are attended.

>From my PC a ping to mysite has a 160ms average RTT (yes, I'm
offshore), on a remote PC on CA the same ping has a 15ms RTT.

>From my PC when I access the site all RPCs are attended correctly,
from the remote PC 3 to 4 RPCs are attented and the rest return a 403,
checking the error log there is a "client denied by server
configuration" entry for each unattended RPC. The error is reproduced
when accessing the site on anywhere on the U.S. while working fine
from places with a higher RTT.

the error_log entries are like this:

[Tue Aug 28 10:52:21 2007] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.234] client
denied by server configuration: /var/www/html/home

I'm running Apache/1.3.33 (Unix), not really sure what more data is
relevant, httpd.conf has default values for all the
maxuser/startserver etc concurrency params; tweeking them had no
effect on the server response.

I am led to discard any directory/access issues since everything works
fine when accessed from a high RTT network, I honestly have no idea
why the server should fail when accessed from a low RTT network.

Thanks for your time.