httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Julius Thyssen" <jul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_deflate optimization
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:52:49 GMT
On 7/9/07, Vincent Bray <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:

> See the docs for that directive which include:
>
> Context:        server config, virtual host
>
> Meaning that this directive can be set in the main server context, or
> <VirtualHost, but not in a container like <Location or <Directory.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html
shows an example almost identical to what I'm using,
with <Location tags. Not very indicative of your advice,
I would say. ;-)

> As for your original post, if you don't have an issue with bandwidth
> but otherwise want to speep up your site, are you sure adding the
> overhead of compression is wise?

I don't remember, but someone on the web, long ago,
advised me to use mod_deflate just to speed things up.
This may be versions ago, but I'm switching it off right now.

I see I'm also loading
mod_cache
mod_disk_cache
mod_mem_cache

Is there any way to make more use of these?
Less disk-reads, more memory caching perhaps
could speed up page-loading for my server.
But I just read another post in this list,
claiming the linux kernel already mem-caches everything.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Julius