httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Want to avoid 304 error
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:23:17 GMT
On 7/23/07, Bello Martinez Sergio <serbel@televes.es> wrote:
> Thank you for your respose.
> I've checked that browsers donĀ“t work as you say they're supposed to
> work. When Apache aswers with a 304 response, the only cache-related
> header it includes by default into the response is 'Cache-Control:
> must-revalidate'.
> Internet Explorer 6.0 does nothing with it, after receiving this
> response, cache remains the same (entity expiry dates remains the same)
> so each time browser needs those elements, it sends a new http request
> an it receives a new 304 response. In the case of Firefox 2.0, the cache
> is updated, but not in the way I'd like: instead of this, entity's
> expiry date are updated to '1970-01-01 01:00:00', so the result is the
> same, each time the browser needs one of these elements, we have a
> request-304 response (with a worse performance)

must-revalidate is certainly not something that apache returns by
default or with the default handler. In fact, no cache-control
parameters are set by default. So I think you need to examine your
application.

Although must-revalidate should technically not effect the caching
decision of the client in most cases, it is a widely abused parameter
and it wouldn't surprise me at all if clients treat this as marking
the response as instantly stale. I would therefore guess that your
problem would be eliminated if you dropped this parameter.

Joshua.