httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Want to avoid 304 error
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:15:54 GMT
On 7/20/07, Bello Martinez Sergio <serbel@televes.es> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've configured Apache so that some elements (i.e. .js, .gif, .jpeg,
> etc) are stored in browser's cache during a time. When I access to a
> page contaning any of those elements, the browser doesn´t make a request
> to the server, it get the content from cache instead. Until this moment,
> all is ok.
> The problem arises when the time I chose for element's caching finishes.
> After this moment, each time the browser need one of those cached
> elements, It makes a http request to the server and the response
> includes a 304 error (I know it´s not an error, only a 'not modified'
> message). The problem is that when a page contains many of these
> elements (.js, .gif, etc), performance get worse (pairs request-reponse
> 304 take time), and there isn't a way to tell the browser to use cache's
> information again, unless you modify files at server side.
> So I want to know or if there is a way to configure Apache so that
> browsers renew cache's elements expiry date when they receive a 304
> error, or to configure Apache to not to answer with error 304, but to
> reply with the corresponding file, even though this file's been not
> modified.

Hmmm... By default, the 304 response should update any Expires or
Cache-Control response headers, and the client should update its cache
based on these new headers (or should recalculate expiry based on the
new response Date). If the client is not updating its cache after the
304 response, that sounds like a problem at the client.

To directly answer your question, I'm not sure if there is an easy way
to entirely turn off 304 responses. You could probably do
RequestHeader unset If-Modified-Since early
or you could activate mod_include processing for the files (but that
would be a waste of processor time).

Joshua.