httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hamilton Vera <hamil...@i2.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] dealing with CPU hogs
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:41:54 GMT

Maybe you can monitor the CGI's with mod_perl and setting pam/system
limits to apache user.

[]'s

Hamilton Vera
int Administrator (char Network[],char ComputationalSystems[]);
http://antispam.br/
"Google is my shepherd, no want shall I know"

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Tony Rice \(trice\) wrote:

> Any suggestions on configuration changes I can make to lessen the impact of CGI scripts
which become CPU hogs?

> I'm running an apache server with about 150 virtual servers.  Ocassionally an errant
script will go nuts and consume 100% of the CPU.  It's really bad when a spider finds one
of these poorly written scripts and calls it a few thousand times.

> I'm monitoring the server and killing off processes that run too long, that catches most
issues before they impact performance too badly, but not when a spider is behind the requests..
Any other suggestions?  Can consistent connections be throttled on a per client IP address
basis?   Can server processes be controlled on a per virtual server basis?