httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tony Rice \(trice\)" <tr...@cisco.com>
Subject [users@httpd] dealing with CPU hogs
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:30:32 GMT
Any suggestions on configuration changes I can make to lessen the impact of CGI scripts which
become CPU hogs?

I'm running an apache server with about 150 virtual servers.  Ocassionally an errant script
will go nuts and consume 100% of the CPU.  It's really bad when a spider finds one of these
poorly written scripts and calls it a few thousand times.

I'm monitoring the server and killing off processes that run too long, that catches most issues
before they impact performance too badly, but not when a spider is behind the requests.. Any
other suggestions?  Can consistent connections be throttled on a per client IP address basis?
  Can server processes be controlled on a per virtual server basis?