httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Finkelstein ...@stevefink.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Directory mapping and logic inquiry
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:19:05 GMT
Hi all,

This is more of a conceptual question than actual syntax or the like.

I'm currently revising an application which should contain one
documentroot for each user. The catch is, the application should connect
to a user specific backend database based on who's logging in.

My thoughts are the following:

URL name will be something like:  http://application.example.com/user
(One DocumentRoot and the application's config file, config.php for
argument sake, will reside here.)

Would my best bet be to use mod_env and SetEnv to grab the /(user)
portion of the URL and then stick to my script specific engine to direct
them to the user specific config file, based somewhere else on the
filesystem? (At this point, it's not Apache's responsibility, it's at
the application layer.)

Also, how about handling for URLs where a /user does not exist. Such as
http://application.example.com/joebob (user joebob doesn't exist, I wish
to redirect them), I'm assuming that's also best to do from an
application level?

Thank you for your insight!

Cheers,

- sf