httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Demetri T." <demetri...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How in the name of LINUX do u set apache2.2 to run as user www-data
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:28:44 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Demetri T. <demetri007@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> thats already set by default when i installed apache(which is
>> www-data).  I think i am having an issue either with file/directory
>> permissions and/or on how Apache is starting up; it just stays running
>> as root instead switching over to www-data (the user/group set when
>> installed).
>>
>> I am having a hard time finding the requirements for apache to run as
>> another user, would you or anyone know. i have checked the apache docs
>> to no avail, and still searching the net.
>
> You are probably misinterpreting something, since apache will not run
> as root without compile-time changes.
>
> There is supposed to be one (control) process running as root that
> launches child processes running under the specified User/Group that
> actually handle requests.
>
> Joshua.

Ok so looking at my proc list i see 6 apache process(only one with PID
1) and all of them running as root.  Does that mean i need to compile
apache with specific options?
I looked over my apache setup this is what i have:

apache is executed using the apache2 script in /etc/init.d
the apache2 script then calls on apachectl in the /usr/bin directory
apachectl then executes apache2 which is in the same directory

I also went over my apache2.conf file and the user/group directives are
listed as:
user www-data
group www-data

I am still trying to find the permissions apache needs for the server
root, document root, and log directory. any idea on this?

Also if you know any good books that you can recommend i am all ears?

Thanks for your help and time
Demetri