httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Demetri T." <demetri...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How in the name of LINUX do u set apache2.2 to run as user www-data
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:56:07 GMT
Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
> Hi Demetri,
>
> Change the User parameter in httpd.conf.  Here's what I have in mine:
>
> # If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
> # httpd as root initially and it will switch.
> #
> # User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
> #  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".
> #  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, and the
> #    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that user.
> #  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SET)
> #  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;
> #  don't use Group #-1 on these systems!
> #
> User apache
> Group apache
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> cheers,
> dim
>

> On 7/25/07, Demetri T. <demetri007@optonline.net> wrote:
>> I have googled for information in configuring apache to run as www-data
>> user a couple of days and all i find are tid bits and they are very
>> general.
>> I tried changing permissions for the directories, the www-data user and
>> group were added by the installation of xubuntu
>>
>> I have search high and low and cant find a HOW-TO anywhere. Please help
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Demetri
>>
>> running:
>> Xubuntu 7.04
>> Apache 2.2
>> PHP 5.2.1
>> mySql 5.0.38

Thanks for the reply Dim

thats already set by default when i installed apache(which is
www-data).  I think i am having an issue either with file/directory
permissions and/or on how Apache is starting up; it just stays running
as root instead switching over to www-data (the user/group set when
installed).

I am having a hard time finding the requirements for apache to run as
another user, would you or anyone know. i have checked the apache docs
to no avail, and still searching the net.

Thanks
Demetri