httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bello Martinez Sergio <ser...@televes.es>
Subject [users@httpd] Want to avoid 304 error
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:15:08 GMT
Hi all,
I've configured Apache so that some elements (i.e. .js, .gif, .jpeg,
etc) are stored in browser's cache during a time. When I access to a
page contaning any of those elements, the browser doesn´t make a request
to the server, it get the content from cache instead. Until this moment,
all is ok.
The problem arises when the time I chose for element's caching finishes.
After this moment, each time the browser need one of those cached
elements, It makes a http request to the server and the response
includes a 304 error (I know it´s not an error, only a 'not modified'
message). The problem is that when a page contains many of these
elements (.js, .gif, etc), performance get worse (pairs request-reponse
304 take time), and there isn't a way to tell the browser to use cache's
information again, unless you modify files at server side.
So I want to know or if there is a way to configure Apache so that
browsers renew cache's elements expiry date when they receive a 304
error, or to configure Apache to not to answer with error 304, but to
reply with the corresponding file, even though this file's been not
modified.

Thanks a lot,

Besbello