httpd-users mailing list archives

From Senén de Diego <se...@electrodh.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Redirect, Rewrite and php.ini
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:54:17 GMT
Hello,
Thank you for your answer...

Vincent Bray escribió:
> On 02/07/07, Senén de Diego <senen@electrodh.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to redirect requests from "/foo/bar.jnlp" to "/foo/bar.php".
>
> Be careful using the word redirect as it has a very specific meaning.
>
>> I've tried this .htaccess file:
>>
>> [
>> Redirect permanent /foo/bar.jnlp http://www.domain.com/foo/bar.php
>> ]
>
> This is a redirect :-)
>
>> I've also tried this one:
>>
>> [
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteBase /foo
>> RewriteRule ^bar\.jnlp$ bar.php
>> ]
>
> This isn't. It's an internal rewrite which, if it works, the client
> will be unaware of.

I would prefer the client being unaware of the change. I'm only trying
the "Redirect" directive to check wether our hosting provider has, at
least, the mod_alias enabled...
> Your use of RewriteBase indicates that the htaccess file is in the
> /foo directory, is that right? In order to better test whether you are
> able to use mod_rewrite, please read (it's a draft so your comments
> would be helpful):

That's right, /foo would be the directory (obviously, it is only an
example...)
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Rewrite/Troubleshooting/HtaccessIgnored
The Wooga thing produces an "Internal Server Error", if I request an
existing resource. If I request a non existing resource (such as the
/foo/bar.jnlp I'm trying to redirect) I get the "Page not found" error I
also get without the Wooga.
So, it seems that the .httaccess file is being read.

>> Both files work in our local server, but not in our hosting
>> provider's one.
>> I've asked them if they have mod_alias and rewrite enabled, and their
>> last answer has been:
>>
>> "As previously stated, the module AllowOverride is enabled at this time
>> on our shared hosting plans and is accessible through php.ini.
>> Mod_rewrite is also functioning correctly on your hosting plan. Our
>> Advanced Hosting Support team has reviewed your issue and found no
>> errors with the configuration of our hosting servers. We are unable to
>> assist you with your custom scripting issues at this time..."
>>
>> As I don't know what has php.ini to do with this issue, I would like to
>> know, from someone with more knowledge than I have, if this answer makes
>> sense and if there is anything I could enable through php.ini to make
>> this work.
>
> No, it doesn't make much sense. AllowOverride is a directive, not a
> module, and has absolutely nothing to do with php.ini.

That's what I thought. I think this people does have neither mod_alias
nor mod_rewrite enabled, and I don't know why, they are telling me just
the contrary...