httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dragon <dra...@crimson-dragon.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How in the name of LINUX do u set apache2.2 to run as user www-data
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:12:28 GMT
Demetri T. wrote:

>thats already set by default when i installed apache(which is
>www-data).  I think i am having an issue either with file/directory
>permissions and/or on how Apache is starting up; it just stays
>running as root instead switching over to www-data (the user/group
>set when installed).
>
>I am having a hard time finding the requirements for apache to run
>as another user, would you or anyone know. i have checked the apache
>docs to no avail, and still searching the net.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong but IIRC, invoking
httpd directly results in it continuing to run as the user that invoked it.

As stated in the manpage for httpd:

        httpd is the Apache HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) server
program. It is designed to be run as a standalone
        daemon process. When used like this it will create a pool of
child processes or threads to handle requests.

        In general, httpd should not be invoked directly, but rather
should be invoked via apachectl on Unix-based sys-
        tems or as a service on Windows NT, 2000 and XP and as a
console application on Windows 9x and ME.

How are you starting Apache?

Are you using the startup script apachectl or are you starting it directly?

Most *nix type OS distributions also have a startup script that is
run at system boot to invoke httpd which generally does some house
keeping stuff and then invokes apachectl. You may have to use a
utility like checkcfg on Red Hat systems or your system's equivalent
to enable the startup on boot.

Dragon