httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Geolocation Question
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:10:50 GMT
On 6/18/07, Jon Keys <keyjc@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up some load balancing based on Apache with mod_proxy_balancer
> and I'd like to incorporate geolocation based on IP address into the load
> balancing algorithm.
>
> I know that IP's are not a reliable way of determining location, but we
> purchased a package from ip2location to try and be as accurate as possible.
> Even still, it's not perfect and that's OK because we are just distributing
> the load of some free downloads ... if someone gets redirected to a server
> that's not that close to them it won't be the end of the world.
>
> Anyway, does anyone know of such a patch / mod / plugin / application
> compatible with apache2? If not, some pointers on where to begin developing
> this would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

If you are using mod_proxy_balancer, then all requests will go through
the apache proxy server. That means there is no benefit in putting the
back-end server close to the client. In fact, you want the back-end
server close to the balancer.

If you want the client to access stuff from a closer server, you
should issue an external redirect. mod_rewrite would be a standard way
to access a database to do a conditional redirect.

Joshua.