httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Custom Logs
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:03:41 GMT
On 6/13/07, CHOKOLA, PETER J, ATTLABS <pc9840@att.com> wrote:

> Are you absolutely sure you are editing the correct config file?
> I am  editing httpd.conf

Yes, but is it actually being used? If you put in an obvious syntax
error and then restart the server, does it give you an error message?

> Did you comment-out the existing CustomLog directive?
> There were no other uncommented CustomLog directives (default httpd.conf
> file).  Which is something that I do not understand.  How does the
> default log type get set if the Custom Log is not used.  Is that built
> into the Apache executable?  When I uncomment the CustomLog command,
> does that cause the default log type to now be directed to the new
> Custom Log?

This leads me to be believe you are a little lost in your config
files. If there is no CustomLog (or TransferLog) directive, then
apache will not write an access_log file.

Going back to your first message, I'm also a little concerned that you
may be mixing up the error_log and access_log. Only the latter is
controlled by CustomLog.

Joshua.