httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] why Apache takes 120 seconds to return 404?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:08:59 GMT
On 6/5/07, Qingshan Xie <xieq_49@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>    We have apache 2.0.59 on Solaris 8.  It sometimes
> took ~120 seconds to return a 404.  I don't understand
> why took so long.  Can someone help me to understand
> it?

I've never personally seen that.

Some debugging tips:

1. How consistent is this? Is it only for certain URLs or certain
clients? Can you give us a URL that shows the problem?

2. Is this for the internal error messages or are you using an
ErrorDocument 404 directive?

3. What kind of filesystem are you serving off? Is it possible that
this filesystem takes a long time to return not-found errors?

> If convenient, could you also tell me how apache
> return the 404?

I don't understand the question. A 404 is returned just like any other response.

Joshua.