httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Owens" <JOw...@jsitelecom.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives]
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:56:59 GMT
I don't know how much this conversation will benefit the group, but I'll post it here as you
suggest.

I'm using Apache to serve a document library on a company intranet. Some of the files to which
my "Online Library" provides links are on a shared resource called \\datastore\development.
 The machine containing those files is not running Apache, IIS, or any other HTTP server.
When it receives an HTTP request from a browser, it simply refuses the connection. Therefore
I can't use "http://datastore/development/myfile.txt" as the link.

Nor can I use "file://datastore/development/myfile.txt", for reasons explained earlier.

What I can do is to map //datastore/development to a local drive, from which my Apache server
can serve files, and provide an Alias to the local drive such as "dev_share". This allows
me to link to the file as, say, http://MyApacheServer/dev_share/myfile.txt.

The issue I was having was with the network login that allows Apache access to the shared
resource.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Stevenson [mailto:tony@pc-tony.com]
Sent: Fri 6/8/2007 6:15 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives]

Re sent to the proper group this time.

Jim Owens wrote:
> Thanks, I appreciate your help.

That's fine, but please keep the messages on the list for everyone's
benefit.

> You suggest that if I follow your instructions, I could then use, for
> example, http://example.com/topshare.
>
> Unfortunately, the "example.com" I want to get files from is not running
> an http service, and would refuse this request.

Then I am confused, what is Apache for?
example.com does not refer to the location your will try and gain access
to with Apache.
I merely said that if example.com was the website you had configured in
Apache, then using my suggested configuration, example.com/topshare
would be the same as \\yourserver\topshare

Where
[1] example.com  =  your website address (i.e. www.apache.org)
[2] topshare = the name of the windows share (the name of the share)
[3] yourserver = the name of the server where share is located.

I will repeat my suggested config below with some annotations, maybe
this will help clear it up for you.

<-- Config Example Starts Here -->

Alias /topshare //server1/topshare
# This line will instruct Apache to use "//server1/topshare" when users attempt to go to /topshare
on your website.

<Directory "//server1/topshare">
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Options indexes
</Directory>
# These 5 lines basically set the few basic required permissions, and options
# you would need to allow Apache to show a directory listing of "//server1/topshare"

<-- Config Example Ends Here -->

If you place these in your appropriate server or vhost configuration it
should work fine (as long as you change the paths to match your environment