httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Owens" <JOw...@jsitelecom.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 02:25:59 GMT

From: Tony Stevenson [mailto:tony@pc-tony.com]
Sent: Thu 6/7/2007 6:04 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Dragon wrote:
>
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>> startup folder.
>>>
>>> It may also work if you change the dependencies of the service to wait to
>>> start until windows networking is started.  This may simply be a race
>>> condition where networking share components don't finish starting before
>>> apache gets that far.
>>>
>> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>>
>> If what William states is in fact what is going on, you could probably
>> still use Apache as a service if you start it manually instead of
>> letting it start automatically.
>>
>> Change the service properties from automatic to manual and then start it
>> from the service window after you are sure the network is functioning.
>>

> Nice test case, yes!

I have just tried to replicate this, and when you use the mapped network
drives, or other media that is dis-connectable (USB, FlashMedia etc)
Apache throws up errors in the errorlog.
In so much that is alias is "ignored" and you generate a standard 404
error.   "[Thu Jun 07 22:49:46 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File
does not exist......"

That is if you use a <Directory> block.  If you use a <Location> block
instead the error is no longer recorded.  Even with LogLevel debug enabled.

However if you replace the mapped drive letter with the full UNC path it
works just fine.  i.e.

Alias /myuncpath "//server1.example.com/folder1/folder2/youruncpath"

<Directory "//server1.example.com/folder1/folder2/youruncpath"
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Options indexes
</Directory>

I have just tested this option, and it works fine with 2.2.4, 2.2.3, and
2.0.59. On Windows XP, and Windows 2000

Jim, you also say you get an error "the Aliased resource was not found
on the server."  where are you seeing that exactly?  In the errorlog?