httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Schofield <schofl...@dakim.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess issue with Apache 2.0.59
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:14:35 GMT
I'm no .htaccess expert -- I'm at the "I've read the docs and gotten
a few .htaccess rules working" stage. So take what I say with a grain
of salt.

1) You need to escape the periods in your regexes. It should be ^www
\.nwdyc\.org$, not ^www.nwdyc.org$.

2) Your rules will redirect traffic to ANY page at nwdyc.org to
nwdyckids.tripod.com. If that's what you want, fine. If you want to
redirect nwdyc.org/whatever to nwdyckids.tripod.com/whatever, you
need to do something else. You're using parenthesis to create a
backreference; you need to actually add the backreference back in,
like this: RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://nwdyckids.tripod.com/$1

3) I don't know why your IP-based rewrite rule isn't working. I've
never played with that.

4) Here's the complete, working rewrite rule for my site,
blog.sudosu.net:

> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteBase /
>
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^www\.blog\.sudosu\.net$
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$         http://blog.sudosu.net/$1 [L,R=301]
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
> RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

5) Here are some notes:

> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^www\.blog\.sudosu\.net$
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$         http://blog.sudosu.net/$1 [L,R=301]

The above cond and rule redirect any traffic to www.blog.sudosu.net
(because some people think EVERY URL needs a "www" in front of it) to
blog.sudosu.net. The L means don't evaluate any further rules in
the .htaccess. The "R=301" means this is a permanent redirect -- your
browser's addrss bar should show the new address, not the old, and
search engines should replace the old URL in their indexes with the
new URL. That may or may not be what you want.

--JMS