httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Serge Dubrouski" <serge...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] LoadBalancing with sessions
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:52:38 GMT
On 6/20/07, Jorge González <jorge.gonzalez@degesys.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Ok, Apache balancing requests. Another option is LVS without Apache
> nither mod_load_balancer / mod_proxy_balancer. the problem: the user
> with session is going always to the same backend web server. This is not
> real balancing for me.

It would do that only if you tell Apache to support sticky sessions.
But actually this is a standard practice to direct all request for the
same session to the same serfver.

> The major problem is do real balancing between servers and keeping user
> session alive. I'm wondering if could be done with DRBD (shared disk) as
> you say. Thre are two way to store sessions, on DB or Disk. Sessions on
> DB is trivial, no problem. Sessions on disk, if are shared with DRBD
> then maybe the question is solved?

Yes if you do want to do that kingf of load balancing.

> Is for a shared hosting and users choose the way they develop. We
> couldn't say users to store sessions on DB or Disk

As I said the standard practice is to use sticky sessions and have
shared storage with presistent sessions for failover case if one node
dies.

> thanks, Cheers!
>
> Serge Dubrouski escribió:
> > 1. Apache + mod_load_balancer
> > 2. Heartbeat + DRBD to make Apache highly available and to provide PHP
> > a shared storage for creating persistent sessions.
> >
> > Serge,
> >
> > On 6/19/07, Jorge González <jorge.gonzalez@degesys.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> I need to build a cluster with 2 Apache. PHP will be installed in both
> >> web servers so I need to mangle sessions. I tried balancing with Apache
> >> and mod_proxy_balanced but when there is a session the user goes always
> >> to the same backend web server. I think this is not usefull because if
> >> the server where the user is goes down then the user could not keep the
> >> session.
> >>
> >> How do you do guys apache load balancing with persistant sessions? LVS?
> >> Heartbeat + ldirector?
> >>
> >> thanks in advance, cheers!

Serge Dubrouski.