httpd-users mailing list archives

From Martijn <sweetwaterg...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] setting MaxClients locally?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:15:15 GMT
On 6/8/07, Allen Pulsifer <pulsifer3@comcast.net> wrote:
> > You would also have to change all links to the PDF's
> > from www.yoursite.com/file.pdf to ...
>
> Of you could setup www.yoursite.com/file.pdf to do a 301 or 302 redirect to
> the new location of the PDF file.  Both mod_alias and mod_rewrite can do
> redirects.  mod_rewrite can be more flexible but is much harder to use.

Thank you. Both your suggestions are definitely worth considering.
However, and I probably should have said this in the first place, most
of these PDFs are hidden behind a login*, while a few of them are even
paid-for. (And to make it even more complicated, PDFs become free
after a while, while their location stays the same.) Apache knows -via
a whole bunch of mod_perl modules- whether the user is logged in and,
if they are, whether they have paid us money, so I think moving the
PDFs to a different sever -whether on the same machine or not- it
would over-complicate things. And, in particular, wouldn't be the
quick solution I'm looking for.

* it is basically this that makes me believe that users who
'DownThemAll' are genuine users, rather than people trying to do a
very simple DOS attack.

Martijn.