httpd-users mailing list archives

From "CHOKOLA, PETER J, ATTLABS" <pc9...@att.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Custom Logs
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:01:52 GMT
By the way, I found a Transfer Log in the ssl.conf file.
I guess this is where the access_log is coming from.

TransferLog /opt/hpws/apache/logs/access_log

Peter Chokola
AT&T Labs
200 S. Laurel Ave.
Bldg A, Room A3-2B14
Middletown, N.J.  07748
Phone: (732)-420-2177

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@gmail.com [mailto:jslive@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:04 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Custom Logs

On 6/13/07, CHOKOLA, PETER J, ATTLABS <pc9840@att.com> wrote:

> Are you absolutely sure you are editing the correct config file?
> I am  editing httpd.conf

Yes, but is it actually being used? If you put in an obvious syntax
error and then restart the server, does it give you an error message?

> Did you comment-out the existing CustomLog directive?
> There were no other uncommented CustomLog directives (default
httpd.conf
> file).  Which is something that I do not understand.  How does the
> default log type get set if the Custom Log is not used.  Is that built
> into the Apache executable?  When I uncomment the CustomLog command,
> does that cause the default log type to now be directed to the new
> Custom Log?

This leads me to be believe you are a little lost in your config
files. If there is no CustomLog (or TransferLog) directive, then
apache will not write an access_log file.

Going back to your first message, I'm also a little concerned that you
may be mixing up the error_log and access_log. Only the latter is
controlled by CustomLog.

Joshua.