httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sebastiaan van Erk <sebs...@sebster.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy, content-length and flushpackets
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:04:44 GMT
Hi,

I'm running apache 2.2.4 with mod_proxy and I'm trying to make a Comet
service hosted by a backend Tomcat 6.0.13 server work.

I have the following line in my httpd.conf:

    ProxyPass /mycometservice http://127.0.0.1:8080/mycometservice
flushpackets=on

However, mod_proxy does not seem to be flushing my packets immediately,
rather it seems to be waiting for the buffer to fill (or the entire POST
body to arrive, I'm not sure which of the two). The server response also
seems to be buffered by mod_proxy.

I have tested my Comet service with a direct connection to Tomcat and
via a Squid proxy, and in both cases it works, so it is certainly a
buffering issue I'm having with mod_proxy.

Note that I do not use chunked encoding (the client and server
explicitly set the Content-Length headers), nor do I want to (for
compatibility reasons).

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how I could fix it?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sebastiaan