httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_authn_dbd with Postgres on Win32
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:07:29 GMT
Alexis Paul Bertolini wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to setup mod_authn_dbd on win32 using Postgres.
>
> I think I have everything in place, except for the pgsql driver
> (apr_dbd_pgsql.so?).
>
> As I don't have a win32 compiler (I guess Cygwin doesn't help here) and
> I have no experience at compiling these projects, could anyone direct me
> to the necessary binaries? (If available)
>
> I understand they are not in the Apache-win32 installer and I can't find
> APR binaries either.
>
> I am using:
> Apache 2.2.4 (Win32)
> Windows XP Pro
> Postgresql 8.2
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex.

Unfortunately, the ability to dynamically load DBD drivers is disabled
in the apache.org-distributed Windows binaries, as well as most other
Windows binary distributions like the ones from Apache Lounge, etc.

There was a discussion about this on the APR dev list back in March.
http://marc.info/?l=apr-dev&m=117274116614953

You will need to rebuild Apache (specifically, the APR-util library) to
enable loading a DBD driver, in addition to building or finding
apr_dbd_pgsql.so.

re: "I don't have a win32 compiler" - It is possible to build native
Apache binaries on Windows with free (as in beer...not speech) tools,
now that Microsoft provides an "Express" version of Visual C++ 2005.

The 'Platform Specific Notes' in the Apache docs has general VC++ build
instructions, and the 'Building with Visual C ++' forum at
www.apachelounge.com can fill in some of the details that you'll need to
use the MS Express version of VC++ 2005.  It's not as easy as building
Apache on Unix or Cygwin, but it's doable if you are inclined to build
your own Windows binaries.

-tom-