httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron ...@proficuous.com>
Subject [users@httpd] multiple https hosts behind nat
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:26:08 GMT
Hi All,

I am running OpenBSD and their default install of apache (BSD patched
version 1.3.29) behind a nat.  I want to use ip based virtual hosts on
the main web server so that I can run multiple ssl sites with a diff.
certificate for each.  Since i'm behind a nat, the outside world
obviously can't see my individual ips for the virtuals hosts.  Can I use
another box running apache with mod_proxy to reverse proxy the https
requests to the correct virtual host/ip?  I thought that i read
somewhere that this wouldn't work because the request is encrypted, thus
no way to get the servername out of the request without decrypting it,
but then i saw a post from back in jan. it was said that this is
possible using mod_proxy and mod_proxy_connect (so that the proxying
machine doesn't do any handling of the certificates) for one host
running https.  Would this also work for multiple hosts like I need?
Will this work for the 1.x version of Apache that i'm using?  Would
simply using mod_proxy with the AllowCONNECT directive work?

I do read the docs, and search the archives (google too), but i can't
find exactly what i'm looking for, so if anyone does know a positive
answer to this, a very brief example would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron