httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Stein <jst...@image.dk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strange "expires" header
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:51:56 GMT
Allen Pulsifer wrote:
>> I'm still wondering why mod_cache sets the expires header (or
>> some other
>> parameter, that causes the headers to be set).
>
> Anything that goes in the cache has to have some expiration date--it can't
> just live forever.  The manual explains how its computed.

- And if the cache settings are wisely set, I guess it makes sense to
put that time in an "Expires" header.. ;-)

>> And why GET and HEAD requests get different headers...
>
> That kinda makes sense.  If you aren't receiving the entity itself, then you
> have nothing to cache, so why should the origin server bother telling you
> when it expires?

It is an RFC 2626 requirement, that HEAD and GET returns the same
headers (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.4).
The RFC mentions test purposes, and in this case, it would have been
nice, if the requests had the same Expires header.

   Regards

     Jonathan