httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:04:27 GMT

Jim Owens wrote:
> The Apache documentation certainly recommends against granting network
> access to the local System account. I don't know why MS thought to add
> that bit -- maybe they were just being thorough.
>
> As for my other remark, it was a bit confused -- sorry. From experience
> I know that I can't get a resource from a file server using an http
> protocol. That is,
> won't work unless other_machine has an http service running.
>
> Likewise,
> won't work, at least not for a W3C compliant browser, because the file:
> protocol is not supposed to allow access over a network. This is where I
> think IE bends the rules.

When I said use the UNC path, I meant in the <Directory> block.
As per my example yesterday, this should use the  / 's (forward slashes)
rather than the traditional MS \ 's (back slashes)

so that could look like <Directory "//server1/topshare">
Then using an alias

Alias /topshare //server1/topshare

That could be used as http://example.com/topshare (if your site was
example.com)
This then accesses the network directory as the service account that
Apache runs as.  Not as the user logged in.

I have tried this, and it works well.
> I haven't tried either formulation lately though.
>
> To answer your earlier question about the error message I was seeing, it
> appears in the browser, and it reads (for example):

Error messages taken from a browser are not very helpful in
troubleshooting your problem further.  To obtain the best suport you
need to get the error from the errorlog.  This will apply for all issues
you have with Apache.