httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Invalid URI in request
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:51:17 GMT

On Jun 14, 2007, at 11:33, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 6/13/07, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> There is a URI on my website for which I get:
>>
>> Invalid URI in request GET /hr/jobs HTTP/1.1
>>
>> every single time the URI is accessed. The URI works as desired,
>> returning the document as desired, and the end-user is never aware
>> that anything untoward happened.
>>
>> I'm curious why I'm getting this error. I see the place in the code
>> where it is generated, but I'm not clear why this particular URI
>> generates it and others do not.
>>
>> For additional background, '/hr' is a php file, and '/jobs' therefore
>> is PATH_INFO data. However, this technique is used for virtually
>> every document on my website, so the technique itself is unlikely to
>> be at fault - at least, as far as I can tell.
>
> Interesting. I assume that the error is being triggered for requests
> from ordinary web clients?
>
> Is your "hr" script triggering any sub-requests?
>
> My last-ditch effort to find the cause would be to run httpd -X under
> gdb and set a breakpoint at that error message. Another option would
> be simply to replace r->the_request with r->uri in the error message
> so that you can see what is really triggering the problem.  (That
> might actually be a good patch in general; it is silly to test the
> validity of one thing and then report a possibly different thing in
> the error message.) My best guess is that something in your script is
> causing r->uri to get rewritten to an invalid path.

I tried this, and r->uri is being rewritten to a path of "http://
www.example.edu/hr/jobs/" ... so, yeah, it seems that something I'm
doing somewhere in rewriterules is causing the path to be written as
a fully-qualified URL. Weird. So that at least gives me something to
look for. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still confused, but at least
I'm confused about something different. :-)

--
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings