httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Rigor" <MRi...@btsb.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] changing the error status code for forbidden resources
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 17:37:12 GMT
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

>>> joshua@slive.ca 5/23/2007 12:05 PM >>>
On 5/23/07, Matt Rigor <MRigor@btsb.com> wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> Three questions in hopes of bettering my understanding of Apache.
>
> Why not just edit the conf file to take the 403 error and have it
> redirect to the Apache 404 error page
> within the error directory? Example below.
>
> ErrorDocument 403 /error/HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var
> ErrorDocument 404 /error/HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var

Because in addition to the error document itself, the server transmits
a status code as part of the HTTP response. So someone looking at the
full network stream could still see the difference.

> As an alternative, why not just edit the actual 403 error page
contents
> to reflect the error you desire.

Same problem.

> Finally, You mention that "it's more than a waste of time, it is
> deliberately crippling of HTTP".  Why?

Owen gave a good answer to this. Ask yourself why the authors of the
HTTP spec decided to have status codes in the first place. Or why not
just two codes: success and failure.

Joshua.