httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strange mod_cache & expires header interaction
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 15:01:35 GMT
On 5/24/07, Christopher Shumway <cshumway@titan-project.org> wrote:
> Hi httpd users,
>
> I've been testing Apache httpd 2.2.4 as a reverse-caching proxy server but
> I've ran into some odd behavior with how its handling expired content.
> Currently I'm using the worker MPM and mod_mem_cache to provide the storage.
> I haven't tested this with prefork or mod_disk_cache yet, but if its worth it
> I can test that configuration too. Here are some entries from the error log
> with loglevel debug:

> Note that the Content-Encoding gzip is actually from Apache 2.2.4 not the
> backend.

I would try two things:

1. mod_disk_cache, which is better tested and maintained than
mod_mem_cache, and will often be just as performant given a good
virtual file system layer.

2. Remove the gzip encoding. There are some fixes recently introduced
in trunk for problems with vary-processing in the cache. These may (or
may not) be causing the problem you see. They will probably make it
into the next 2.2 release.

Joshua.