httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] GET requests being changed to POST
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 14:02:50 GMT
On 5/18/07, John Gosling <johngosling@realneedsoftware.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a web application which had been running unproblematically for
> around 6 years until several days ago (approximately 10th May).  At this
> time we suddenly found that requests sent via POST were intermittently
> showing up as GET requests in the Apache access logs.  On each such occasion
> (around 10% of requests)  the application would fail as a consequence with
> none of the POSTed data reaching our scripts. On the remaining 90% of
> occasions the POST request were getting transmitted successfully.

So your subject line is backwards.

> (a) has their been a recent update of Apache or related software over the
> last 10 days which could possibly have caused this problem?

No. And in any case Apache doesn't auto-update, so it would need to be
the result of you specifically changing something in apache.

> (b) does anyone have any idea of what sort of process could alter a POST
> request from a browser in such a manner as it finishes up as a GET request
> without any posted data by the time it reaches a CGI scripts?  Incidentally,
> on this point, we are pretty certain that the form is not broken in any way
> and submits a valid POST request.

The most common reason for a POST to change to a GET is that the POST
is redirected. Check your logs for 3xx response codes and figure out
what is generating them.

It isn't clear if you are actually seeing GET or POST in your
access_log. Perhaps you can show us some of the contents of the
access_log.

In the worse case, you should trace exactly what is getting sent back
and forth to apache using something on the wire or something like
mod_dumpio:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dumpio.html

Joshua.