httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Leaner httpd
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 14:04:54 GMT
On 5/14/07, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my server has been running at a rather high load lately, as well as swapping
> a bit.
>
> I was thinking its time to consider removing some of the DSO entries. (See
> list of loading modules below).
>
> Here is what the server is used for:
>
> Virtual Hosting - about 250 domains
> PHP, mostly x-cart, and Forums Invision Board and phpBB
> MySQL (accessed mostly via PHP)
> static html pages, but, sigh, my partner insists we pars all files a shtml
> (Includes),
> OpenWebmail using the speedy cgi backend.
> a few Userdirs.
>
> SO here is the list of modules loaded. Which ones can be removed? Do you
> think it will help speed and memory usage?

I'm not sure what you really expect of us. To figure out if a module
can be removed, just go to its page in the documentation and see if
you are using any of its features/directives. That can't be done over
a mailing list, although it does look like there are at least a dozen
modules there that you probably aren't using. A list of the core
modules that almost everyone uses is here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html#modules

As far as how much that will help, my guess is that it will have a
relatively small effect. When you are using heavy-duty stuff like php
and cgi, all the tuning you can imagine in apache is going to be
washed out by the overhead of your dynamic content. It still may be
worthwhile to clean up unused modules in order to save a little
memory, but it won't have a large effect. If performance is inadequate
you need to either optimize your dynamic content or get more hardware.

Joshua.