httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 16:48:17 GMT
On 5/10/07, Guillermo Pallarés <guillermo.pallares@sacnet.es> wrote:

>  What kind of "call to this file" do you use?
>  The call is <frame marginwidth = "0" marginheight = "5" src="clock.html"
> name = "sac" scrolling = "no" frameborder = "0">
>  If this line is removed, then the second autenticathion doesn't appear.
>

>  You should trace all the requests your browser is making as part of
>  whatever document is being requested. In one of these requests, the
>  hostname is probably changing, resulting in the new auth.
>  (Alternatively, perhaps there is simply a browser bug causing it to
>  forget credentials.) But there is really no way for us to know what is
>  going on from this side of the firewall. I have tried to perform a trace by
> using Ethereal. Please find the complete .cat file attached, from the first
> log in until the second autenticathion is requested. I guess the most
> important part is the end, because at some point the browser stops sending
> the aut info at the end of the frame. I don't know if it is casual but that
> point is when a .JAR file request is sent.

Yes, the key is here:

GET /lib/sv600.jar HTTP/1.1
[...]
[...]

So firefox isn't making this request, it is java doing it directly.
And java doesn't have the required credentials resulting in a new
password prompt.

I know nothing about embedding java applets. You're probably better
off looking for a forum with some expertise in that subject. Here
you'll find mostly apache experts, and this problem has nothing to do
with apache.

Joshua.