httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Error_log - wrong error format
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 23:22:20 GMT
On 5/7/07, webadmin@webadmin.netlook.pl <webadmin@webadmin.netlook.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a student of The Technical University of Gdansk (Poland)
> I'm curently working on a project which will use apache error_log file. In
> my project I'm using details from error_log entries (time, location) to
> show a statistic of dangerous errors that has been occured on server - for
> example:
> "[Fri May 04 20:04:23 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:
> Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/index.php
> on line 5"
>
> Unfortunetly not every entries have correct format.
> For example:
> "Allowed memory size of 1048576 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2038853
> bytes)"
> "mkdir: cannot create directory `haha': Permission denied"
>
> Why there are no details in that error logs like in others?

You can find out about what goes in the error log here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#errorlog

As it says, the non-standard entries you see are the stderr output of
cgi scripts. Errors that use the normal apache error api get the
date/client appended, but not the stderr output of cgi scripts.

Joshua.