httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Tools for better viewing Apache access logs?
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 22:53:54 GMT
On 5/3/07, Mark A. Craig <mark.a.craig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again to those who helped me get past my BSOD problem and finally
> put Apache to use.  Now that I'm using it, I'm wondering if there's some
> tool that exists to enhance and restructure the display of information
> in Apache's access log?  I'd like to view the log with a hostname and
> more column-structured, in particular.  The previous server I was using
> included hostnames and displayed everything in well-ordered columns, and
> I found those to be a very helpful features.  Is there a viewing utility
> for Apache that can display the log in (configurable) columns and
> resolve the IP addresses to hostnames and display those as well?
>
> That hostname feature was how I immediately knew when the U.S.
> government had been snooping on my blog:
> 150.148.0.27/wallwhale-pub.fda.gov.  ;-)

If you want to see what is happening on your server at a particular
moment, check mod_status and the server-status handler.

If you want to see hostnames, you'll need to turn HostnameLookups On,
but that will have performance effects.

If what you want is just to better analyze requests to your server in
general, you should use a log analysis tool. Try googling for "Apache
log analysis" and similar...

Joshua.