httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_security and system load
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 22:24:49 GMT

On 29 May 2007, at 22:31, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm running FC6 and added mod_security using the default rule set
> and the load level on the system is about 5 times higher than
> without it. I'm wondering what rule sets I might disable that would
> give me some security without slowing the server down to a crawl.
> Could use some practical advice.

What are you protecting?  A jump that big suggests the possibility
that your
contents may be predominantly static.  In which case, turn
mod_security off!

The really big performance hit with mod_security is if you scan request
and/or response bodies with it.  And I can't see how you could
usefully apply
any default ruleset to that.

--
Nick Kew